Random thoughts from a pastor turned stay-at-home mom now living in the Intermountain west

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Early Discernment

So, in the last few weeks the head of the judicatory here has resigned to go elsewhere. So there is a meeting next Saturday where we will be asked to approve a job description for a "transitional presbyter" - this is not the hard part for me. The job description is actually very well written, clear, and I think helpful in moving us forward as a gathering of churches - the biggest assignment being to meet with all pastors and church governing boards to gather information and cast a vision for future structure and mission in our judicatory. This position is clearly defined as having a 12 month term.
So - where the discernment? No where yet, really. But I am wondering about the permanent position that will follow this transitional one. When we came here, it was with the knowledge that I might not work for some time - not in the regular called sense of it anyway. I prepared myself to be a mom, to preach on occasion, and I am happy with that. For now. But, now I am starting to wonder - am I called to leadership outside the congregational level? Could I be an executive and be content? Is this what God has planned for me to do? In many ways it would make sense - especially when it comes to hours and scheduling (the real downfall to a clergy couple with young children in my experience). I am just wondering. Those of you who know me in real life - any thoughts?
I should add that I know unofficially that there is a pastor who will probably take the transitional position and be very good at it. Don't want to say more, as I'm not supposed to really know - but I feel no need to apply for the transitional piece. But in 16 months C. will be 2 - the earliest I really thought I would work again - I am wondering.
Hope this makes some sense to someone - it is late and C. is cutting her upper two middle teeth - which means little sleep for mom this week.

4 comments:

LittleMary said...

wow. that is really interesting. just right off the bat, not thinking about it much, i could see you there, as a general presbyter. you care about process, how things get done, you are a good pastor but don't need to be in one congregation, you are able to listen to all sides but then can get pissed as hell when you get home but no one knows that besides those close to you, i could see it...keep those discernment juices flowing!

Jon said...

I could see you as an exec. I think it is incredibly hard work, and I think there's probably some ageism in the process. Definitely go for it.

I could also see you doing a semi-autonomous ministry at W's church, perhaps outreach focused. I definitely resonate with your interest, and I find that whenver I get about a year away from parish ministry I start to "itch." The danger is, it's easy to overdose; balance is a very fine line.

Are you all on any of the internet web phone systems (skype, yahoo, gmail, etc.)? It would be fun to talk sometime.

Desert Mama said...

thanks, all. I will keep thinking about it. In some ways it would be great, in others, I'm not sure I want a paying job right now - and I realize I am incredibly priviledged to not need one. hmmmmm.
jon - e-mail me your number and a good time to call and I'll call you - we have thousands (literally) of rollover minutes on our cell plan to work through.... my e-mail is firstname @ lastname-halva . org - no spaces and fill in my name, obviously....

Heidi Haverkamp said...

DMama, I think you'd be an awesome executive, although I know little about PCUSA polity. I just think you'd have a cool and a good head for it. But it all depends on what YOU want to do... and what God wants you to do, obviously. I feel a little chill of the ageism Jon warns about, too - people often don't think young women can do this sort of thing. And they may think that as a young parent, you shouldn't be doing this kind of work either...