Random thoughts from a pastor turned stay-at-home mom now living in the Intermountain west

Friday, December 14, 2007

Conversations at our house this morning

Just because it's funny looking back.....

Me: M., do you want pancakes for breakfast?

M: No, Mommy. Pancakes are messy. I want something else.

Me: Okay, what do you want?

M: Cream of Wheat. It's not messy. (not entirely true, as she is apt to spill down her shirt as she eats, but I'm willing to indulge this wish...)

Me: Okay. Let's go get it out.

M: Mommy, I want to get the box out of the cupboard. I can do it.

Me: Okay. (I am not about to stop someone being independent and helpful)

M: Here Mommy. Oops.

(At this point I look down at the floor where about 3/4 cup of dry cream of wheat has spilled out to the box - it looks like a little indoor snowstorm or something)

Me: M, we have to remember not to tip the box because it will spill. Let's get the vacuum out. (I am calm because I actually got a good night's sleep last night - makes all the difference in the world in my level of patience with stuff like this.)

M: Oh. Okay.

(I get out the vacuum, we clean up the mess. I start cooking the cream of wheat and put the box back. I stir the cream of wheat on the stove and then turn to look down at C., who has decided that she wants to get things out of the cabinet too. She is trying to chew through a wrapper around some crackers, and has spilled guess what - more cream of wheat on the floor.)

Me: time for the vacuum again.

(W. walks into the kitchen and looks around)

W: Girls are messy. Everyone talks about boys being messy, but girls are messy.

Me: The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.

W: (chuckles and leaves to walk the dog)

We are going to try to get the tree up and decorated today. If we're all still in a good mood after that, we're going to go downtown on the train and see the lights. M and C love, love, love to ride the train, so that in itself is a treat. Hope you all are having fun. Oh, and the cream of wheat was pretty yummy.....

1 comment:

LittleMary said...

:) aren't you just such an old married couple! i love it.