Random thoughts from a pastor turned stay-at-home mom now living in the Intermountain west

Friday, November 9, 2007

10 Things about me....

So, More Cows tagged me for this almost a week ago, and I'm finally getting around to typing up my list to post. So, here goes....

10 Random Things about me....

1. In the last year and a half, as I've adjusted to being a stay-at-home mom, I have rediscovered a love of sewing. I now have a sewing machine that does more than I understand how to do (it's a Babylock - and I would highly recommend the brand if you're looking...) and have made a number of things, from Halloween costumes to pants and turtlenecks for M., to matching sundresses for M. and C. last summer.
2. Echoing More Cows and Jon, I also have double-jointed fingers, and yes, I've had them lock in weird ways during both communion and benedictions.
3. I did college in 3 years and seminary in 4 - reversing the standard timetables. My seminary experience was definitely good - I spent the 4th year doing a full-time internship that changed my ideas about what sort of ministry I was called to in very helpful ways. Not sure if doing college in 3 years was all for the best, but what's done is done.....
4. My living room rug has small bits of various colored playdough dried onto it. I'm still trying to figure out if I should put lots of energy into getting these up, or just budget to buy a new rug when M. and C. outgrow the playdough age.
5. I don't really enjoy exercise, but have found I feel much better and have much more patience when I exercise regularly - so I try to do it anyway.
6. I really love being home with my girls full-time - even though I am regularly exhausted emotionally and physically and I never get to really "leave work" I wouldn't trade these years for anything. And I'm grateful that I'm both a mother and staying at home because I chose this - unlike many women I've met who have had these experiences but didn't choose them freely.
7. I love to cook as well, and especially with my 4 year old M. - who expresses sheer delight and amazement at the processes of cooking and baking - making the whole experience much more fun.
8. I have a terrible sweet tooth - the amount of Halloween candy I've consumed in the last week is shameful.
9. I wasn't too fond of dogs growing up until I met W.'s family's dog, Mugsy, a German Shephard/husky mix who was the best and friendliest dog on the planet, unless you happened to be driving a UPS truck. Mugsy won my heart, and W's and my first "furbaby" was our dog Micah. We also have 3 cats - all of whom I also love.
10. I am seriously considering homeschooling my daughters for a number of reasons which I should blog about in the future, including a belief that human beings should not be mass produced, a concern about both the quality and social environment of the public schools, and a growing realization that M. at least is quite gifted and unlikely to fit in well to a traditional classroom environment. The more I consider this as time goes by, the less it scares me. I continue to have mixed views about homeschooling in general - but it may be the best thing for my kiddos - and I am a true momma bear about my kiddos - I would do just about anything for them and I will growl quite loudly at anyone who is after them.

1 comment:

more cows than people said...

oh l, thanks for playing.

i think you would be a great homeschooler, and that it might add even more meaning to this rich choice you have made.

and i look forward to reading more thoughts on this.

crazy that three out of five of us in our intern group have double jointed fingers!