Random thoughts from a pastor turned stay-at-home mom now living in the Intermountain west

Monday, October 1, 2007

Water, water, everywhere (almost)

Both of the girls decided that yesterday was a good time to experiment with water, and the whole series of events is one that makes you either laugh or cry as a mom - so, in the hope of laughing myself and perhaps sharing one with you, the story.....
So, I was doing some work on my computer yesterday when M. came up to me and asked if she could drink the water that was in the water bottle she was holding. Not knowing when the water bottle in question had been opened, I told her she should rinse it out and then put fresh water in and she could drink that. S0, she sets off to the bathroom to do this. A few minutes later, she comes running out saying, with a good bit of urgency in her voice, "Mommy, mommy, I needs help!" So, I grab C. and start towards the bathroom and I realize that I hear the sound of water spraying against something. Sort of like the sound of the shower running. I start to wonder why in the world M. would have tried to rinse out a water bottle in the shower as I look in the bathroom to see that (thankfully, I think) the shower is off. I turn to look at the sink. The water bottle in question is sitting in the sink, where it just barely fits under the faucet. The bottle is full. The water is on....and now spraying out all over the bathroom. The counter-top, floor, walls, all are wet. I turn off the water and ask M., as calmly as possible, "what happened, M?" Her answer, "I got scared, Mommy, because the water got loud, so I came to get you." I have to say, I find her unwavering belief in my ability to fix anything that is wrong charming. I know it won't last, so I try to enjoy it while it does. However, the practical side of me really enjoys the fact that she is growing up and learning to fix a few things by herself.
Fortunately, we have towels. Lots of towels. Many of which were used to clean up the water that is now all over the bathroom.
Part two.... I am getting M. ready for bed. C. has decided she is not sleepy and so is playing on the floor of our bedroom, where I can see her as I help M. get her pj's on and such in the bathroom. All of a sudden, I hear what sounds unmistakably like water splashing....on the floor of my bedroom. I look, and C. has found the bottle from earlier, that M. for some reason put in there, and found that the lid was not on tight. So she could shake it around and spray water all over the floor. What fun! She was very proud of herself. I sighed. And went to get more towels. And reminded myself that I am really lucky to be the mom of 2 beautiful girls and I shouldn't scream (not too loud anyway). And I want them to explore and learn about the world. Really, I do.....and we all have to learn to clean up messes at some point.

3 comments:

more cows than people said...

yes... you are lucky... and i'm sure that heavy dripping towels make that hard to remember.

thanks for sharing the stories.

Heidi Haverkamp said...

Ah, messiness and growth. Two things that go together - something we should all remember. Thanks for the reminder, Desert Mama!

LittleMary said...

:)