Random thoughts from a pastor turned stay-at-home mom now living in the Intermountain west

Saturday, October 13, 2007

The sound of silence.....

The rest of the family, including all the animals, is asleep for a Saturday afternoon nap, so I might be able to catch up on stuff I've wanted to blog about. I've been sick this week - bronchitis - which, since it causes my asthma to kick in, is really no fun. Mommy gets very grouchy when she can't breathe well. And tired. So, I'm on day 4 of antibiotics and feeling much better. Other thoughts/updates:
  • The LDS Church had their semi-annual General Conference last weekend. Two times a year the bigwigs all give a series of lectures over a weekend. Lots of folks here go downtown to hear them live - and they are simu-cast to LDS churches around the globe. Anyway, there was an article in the Salt Lake Tribune last Saturday about the first presidency of the Relief Society. For those who live outside Mormon-land, the Relief Society is the women's association of the LDS. The first presidency is the top 3 leaders of said association. I have lots of thoughts about the Relief Society, but the article last weekend made me want to scream. These 3 women were asked to give up their jobs and lives basically for 5 years (one left a husband who is serving overseas in LDS mission to come back to Salt Lake to serve, another left a fairly high-power corporate job) And they are not paid. Let me repeat that - they are asked to serve the church full-time for 5 years and are not paid. Not a dime. Now, you may know that the LDS pride themselves on not having paid clergy (don't get me started on that). But, all of the leadership hierarchy who work in Salt Lake at headquarters get a "modest support stipend." The actual amounts are not published (none of the LDS church's financial information is published for review, another soapbox I will avoid for the moment), but the "prophet" of the church happens to live in a $1.2 million condo in downtown Salt Lake City. That is public knowledge because the city council voted to allow the church to not pay taxes on, as it is church-owned property. If that's where he lives, I kind of doubt that he's paid a stipend that I would consider modest. And the women aren't paid......yet another reason I would be a lousy mormon woman.
  • There are so many things about M. and C. that I want to remember. C. loves, loves, loves to crawl into the kitchen and over to the dog's food and water bowls to play. Such play is not sanctioned by the Mommy-of-the-house, so I will say to her in a firm voice, "No, C. - not yours" and she responds by laughing at me. Real concerned about obeying authority, that one is......And when she starts to get hungry and I sit down with her to feed her, she will grin and clap her hands and get so excited.....And the way she loves to pet the animals - she also laughs exuberantly when they brush their tails in her face - and they are pretty patient with her. M. is so free from inhibitions at this age. I just love that - watching her run with wild abandon down the sidewalk on our evening walks, singing at the top of her lungs. She also loses herself in imaginative play, making up whole elaborate scenes and stories. (Heaven forbid that we don't make sure her baby gets into the car or something - she gets very upset if one is left behind, and many of them are imaginary - not dolls - which makes it hard for Mommy to see them.) Look out world, here comes M. - and I'm not sure the world is quite ready yet....
  • We all survived W. being gone for 2 nights at a conference this week. He had to go to a conference in Jackson Hole, WY - poor thing. (ha, ha, ha) I was a little worried, because the day he left (Wednesday) was the day I found out I had bronchitis and my blood oxygen saturation was down to 94% (normal is 99-100%) at the doctor's office. I was tired and worried how I would deal by myself with 2 kiddos for 3 days. But, a good night's sleep and antibiotics and breathing treatments got me back to able to cope pretty well, and we had a good couple of "girls days." It is good to have W. back, though. He got home after the girls were asleep last night, and when C. woke up this morning and saw him she started giggling and crawled over to him - it was really cute.
  • One of my grandfather's many favorite sayings was, "off and moving like a herd of turtles in a cloud of dust." I've started saying that when headed out the door with the girls - it aptly describes the pace at which we move most days. M. has started saying it too, but she says, "off and moving like a herd of dust and a cloud of turtles!" with great exuberance, usually while jumping up and down the length of the porch.
Well, in the middle of this post, everyone woke up, we had dinner, walked the dog, gave the girls baths and washed their hair, and put them to bed. Now it's time for me to do the same....

1 comment:

more cows than people said...

great saying- your way and M's.

good to hear from you.