Random thoughts from a pastor turned stay-at-home mom now living in the Intermountain west

Sunday, July 15, 2007

M's baptism


We baptized M., our 3 year old, yesterday. After having spent the last 4 years or so obsessing about how, when, and where we would do this, I am happy to say that it all went smoothly and felt right - which is what I was most worried about. We didn't baptize her as an infant for a variety of logistical reasons (having 4 churches that we were pastoring among the 2 of us and going back and forth about where to have it is the most obvious one) and this spring she said to me, in the midst of a conversation about her Sunday School class:

"Mommy, when was I baptized?"

"You haven't been baptized yet, sweetie."

(long pause as she contemplates this)

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"I want to be baptized!" (great emphasis on the 'want')

So, I told W. that night when he came home that he needed to talk to Session and get it on the calendar.

Anyway, we did the service of baptism together, basically alternating parts. He did the actual baptism (M. was pretty set on this) and I did the laying on of hands that comes right after. It was really a wonderful event for our family, and a great day for M. - one I am really thankful for. I will try to post a picture or two....

It was a beautiful thing....

1 comment:

LittleMary said...

yesterday there was a baptism of a 3 year old who asked the pastor to baptize him. she wanted it -- BAD. this amazes me.